91. If you are worried about trans-fat in peanut butter there’s good news. A study done on popular brands like Skippy, JIF, Peter Pan and a supermarket brand found that they had less then 0.5 grams low enough for them to legally claim zero trans fat. They also contained only 1 gram more of sugar than natural brands.
92. Exercising won’t cause you to overeat. Exercise is actually good for curbing your appetite.
93. When exercising or doing anything you shouldn’t wait until your thirsty to take a drink. When you are thirsty that means you are already dehydrated. Before you exercise try to drink at least 16 oz of fluids like water or sports drinks depending on how vigorous your activity will be. Drink another 8 ounces an hour before and then drink 4-8 ounces every 15-20 minutes of your workout.
94. Listen to a book on tape or your I pod to make your workout go faster.
95. Participate in Yoga. You might think its to easy and peaceful but you’ll be surprised. In some forms of Yoga you can burn 250-350 calories in an hour session. Not only will you burn calories but you’ll improve your flexibility and increase your muscular strength.
96. Drink plenty of water. It’s not how much you drink but how often you drink. Not getting enough water can slow your metabolism by up to 3 %. Drinking small amounts throughout the day is better then taking in one large amount.
97. Meet with a dietician to become more informed about food choices and to get answers to any questions you may have.
98. Drop weight at church support groups. Researchers found that diet and exercise programs set up in churches help people lose an average of 20lbs that’s because there is a built in community where people can feel comfortable.
99. Try to avoid stress. A study found that people who were stressed and had high blood pressure were twice as likely to eat fatty foods than people who aren’t stressed or who are controlling their stress.
100. Join an online weight loss group. A study done found people who joined an online support group lost 5 1/2 more pounds then those who didn’t have any online support. Many of these online weight loss programs have counsellors who can provide feedback, answer questions and give support.
81. Add Vitamin E: Vitamin E combined with blood thinners can reduce the plaque in your arteries by up to 80%.
82. Beat the heat with cold grapes: Eating cold grapes can provide you with artery protection similar to when you drink a glass of wine.
83. Ditch fad diets: When your weight fluctuates it weakens your heart and and affects your blood flow.
84. Make friends at work: Men with lots of friends have lower heart rates and had healthier blood pressure even in times of stress.
85. Cheaters never prosper: Having extramarital sex increases your risk of a fatal heart attack. 75% of cases of death during sex involved a cheating spouse.
86. Use the free BP test wisely: These test aren’t 100% accurate. On average the machines can be off by up to 8 points systolic and 4 points diastolic. Check your blood pressure at least 3 times and then average it.
87. Eat fresh berries: Berries are loaded with salicyclic the same heart disease fighter is found in aspirin.
88. Tune out stress: Listen to music in the morning or do something that isn’t stressful to reduce your chance of a morning coronary.
89. Root for your home team: A study done found that heart attack rates fell among locals when the home team one.
90. Stop Snoring: Those who suffer from sleep apnea usually suffer from high blood pressure.
81. Put a sign on your fridge and cupboard: “Closed after dinner.”
82. Brush your teeth after meals to remind yourself: No more food. Not only will it lessen your urge to eat you’ll have nice looking teeth.
83. When you eat, eat. Don’t read or play at the computer. Focus all your attention on your food.
84. It isn’t the time of day that makes you gain weight 100 calories at 10 in the morning is the same as 100 calories at 10 at night. It’s how many calories in total you eat that determines whether you gain or lose weight.
85. Remember that just because it says fat free it may not be good for you. Compare nutritional information and make informed dieting choices.
86. Never skip breakfast. It will slow your metabolism and leave you feeling cranky throughout the day. You’ll more then likely binge later because you’re hungry.
87. If you are absolutely starving and have no choice but to turn to a vending machine pick the nuts.
88. If you are feeling tired in the afternoon skip the cup of coffee and reach for a cup of yogurt. The yogurt will give you a sense of fullness and give you vitamins and minerals coffee can’t.
89. Change up your pantry. If you use peanut oil switch to olive oil. If you eat white bread switch to whole wheat etc.
90. You may be surprised but some frozen vegetables have more nutritional value then fresh ones. Frozen vegetables also last longer.
71. If you family decides they need to have a sweet treat compromise with them. Serve low fat ice cream with some fruit. Or fruit with a dollop of whipped cream.
72. If you have a craving for sweet or salty foods try to go 2 weeks without eating it. You’ll be surprised at how your cravings will disappear.
73. Eat more fruit. This helps people who have sweet tooth’s keep their cravings under control.
74. You can eat sweets but be smart. Keep your treat under 150 calories. There are a lot of ice creams out there that have snack pack sizes that are between 50-150 calories.
75. If you want some healthy sweets try eating a few frozen grapes, some sugar free cocoa made with skim milk, fruit or homemade popsicles.
76. To avoid binging later at night eat balanced meals throughout the day and don’t skip meals.
77. Eat all your meals at the table away from distractions.
78. Drink unsweetened cold raspberry tea.
79. If you are prone to overeating at night change up your schedule. Find a hobby that you can do or something to keep you occupied so you won’t overeat.
80. If you eat because of emotions you need to focus and find out what it is that is really bugging you. Then you will be able to focus on changing it instead of turning to food for comfort.
61. If you have a holiday party to go to eat before going. Fill up on some fruits and veggies. Don’t allow yourself to go to the party when your hungry or you will be sure to set yourself up for a binge.
62. When you are at a party don’t stand near the food or alcohol. If you don’t see it and aren’t near it you won’t be as tempted to eat it.
63. If you find yourself at a buffet don’t eat a little bit of everything. Pick 3 or 4 items making sure only one of them is high in calories. Eat your high calorie item last so you can fill up on the healthier food and avoid overeating.
64. During the holidays don’t let yourself wear loose fitting clothing. You want to wear clothes that are snug that way you have no room for expansion.
65. Instead of keeping all the leftovers give them away to your guests. If you keep them in the house you will be sure to overeat.
66. Walk around the mall 3 times before you start shopping to get in extra exercise.
67. Make exercise a nonnegotiable priority.
68. When you are at home dance around to music either by yourself or with friends or family. It’s a fun way to get some exercise in.
69. If you are having a sweet tooth moment eat a healthy salad for dinner and save your calories to indulge into a dessert.
70. If you know you have the temptation to eat sweets make sure you don’t keep any in the house unless you know for certain you can enjoy some sweets without going overboard.
51. If you want to eat a frozen entree stay away from the hungry man dinners they are filled with fat, salt and high in calories. Try to go for the many selections of Lean Cuisine, or Weight Watcher selections.
52. Instead of having a fat filled breakfast of sausage and bacon scramble up some eggs in a non-stick skillet and serve with a side of asparagus and whole wheat toast.
53. Steam some frozen vegetables and sprinkle with some garlic powder and top with some nuts.
54. Make a healthy salad. Top with 1/2 can of tuna which is full of protein and add a few slices of tomatoes and top with light dressing.
55. Instead of packing your sandwich full of meat fill it with lettuce, tomatoes and sprouts to give it more substance without all the calories.
56. If you want a quick lunch have a broth based soup with some vegetables.
57. In the morning have a high fibre breakfast cereal with skim milk and top it with some fresh fruit.
58. Instead of ordering a foot long sub order a 6” and pick one of the leaner subs and top with tons of vegetables.
59. If you want a sweet treat for lunch take some pre-cut fruit and mix it with some low fat yogurt.
60. Don’t make excuses that it’s ok to overeat just because it is the holidays. That only opens the door for you to overeat for weeks.
41. Watch out when snacking or grazing. You can easily eat 500-600 calories without realizing it.
42. Watch the pasta. Go for whole wheat pasta and watch your portion sizes. One serving of pasta is 1/2 cup many people eat 4 times that amount.
43. Stay away from bagels. They aren’t worth the calories and the toppings don’t help. Eat a slice of whole wheat toast instead.
44. Don’t ignore the serving size on the package. I can’t stress enough how important this is. Take Kraft dinner for example. Once prepared it says a serving has 220 calories. Many people would assume that’s for the whole box, but really that is for 1/4 of the box and I highly doubt that all of you eat only 1/4 of the box. That means you have to take 220 and multiply it by 4. One box has a whopping 880 calories.
45. Don’t snack on nuts. Yes nuts are healthy granted you eat the right kinds but they have a high calorie and fat content. Instead of eating a bowl of them garnish them in your salad or toss a few into your oatmeal.
46. Don’t think that energy bars and smoothies are all healthy. Many are loaded with sugar and calories.
47. If you want a smoothie make one at home with skim milk, frozen fruit and wheat germ.
48. If you really must eat takeout. Look at the nutrition information online ahead of time. Pick out the lowest calorie burger and have a diet soda. Bring that home and eat it with a salad or some vegetables instead of ordering fries. This can save you up to 800 calories.
49. Instead of eating a chocolate bar or chips have a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread with a cup of skim milk and an apple.
50. Instead of buying chicken strips make your own with lean chicken breast.
31. Schedule your flu shot: People who have vaccinated themselves against the flu have a 19% less chance of being hospitalized for heart disease then people who haven’t gotten their shots.
32: Drink water: When you drink five or more 8 ounce glasses of water daily you can lower your risk of heart disease for up to 60%.
33: Eat Grapefruit: By consuming as little as one a day you can reduce arterial narrowing by 46%, lower bad cholesterol levels by 10%, and drop your blood pressure by up to 5 points.
34: Eat garlic bread: Garlic is good for lowering cholesterol and fighting off infections. After having a heart attack or heart surgery consumption of garlic can help prevent further damage to your heart.
35: Top your toast: Pick healthy choices for your toast. Black currant jelly is an excellent source of quercetin a type of antioxidant that can help prevent the damage of arterial walls and prevent the build-up of radicals that allow plaque to build up.
36: Scramble your eggs: Eggs are a good source of betaine. Betaine helps lower homocysteine levels by up to 75%.
37: Get your chromium: You aren’t likely to get enough chromium through your diet so be sure to look for a chromium supplement labelled chromium picolinate its the one absorbed easiest by the body.
38: Do your crunches: A Canadian study found that the men who could do the most sit ups in a minute were the least likely to die in a period of 13 years. Having strong abdominal muscles means less belly fat which in turn lowers your risk of heart disease.
39: Don’t combine Ibuprofen with aspirin: A study conducted in Scotland found that heart patients who took both Ibuprofen and Aspirin were at 75% higher risk of premature death then those who take only Aspirin.
40: Pair up: Married men are less likely to die from heart disease then bachelors. Men who have been happily married for at least 3 years had healthier hearts then men who weren’t paired up.
31. Spinach is healthy and low in calories. Add it as salad to your sandwiches, put it in your soups, add it to your heated pasta and place it in salads.
32. If you really hate cutting fruits and vegetables or don’t have the time spend the extra cash to get the pre-chopped or pre-bagged fruits and vegetables.
33. If you don’t enjoy vegetables try eating some fruit and switch it up a bit. You still need to be careful when eating fruit because you can still gain weight if you eat to much.
34. Buy several types of your favourite vegetables frozen so they last longer. You can get anything frozen; corn, carrots, spinach, mixed vegetables, Brussel sprouts etc.
35. When eating remember the best portion for high calorie foods is the smallest one and the best portion for vegetables is the biggest one.
36. If you want food but suspect you could be stressed or bored try to focus your attention elsewhere by reading a book or taking a stroll in the park.
37. If you are thinking about eating something that is unhealthy for you ask yourself if it’s really worth it and will you feel better after you eat it.
38. Remember things take time and your progress may be slower then you like, but it doesn’t mean you aren’t making progress.
39. Remember that it is more stressful being overweight then it is to stop overeating.
40. Don’t skip meals. You may think if you skip meals you can bank calories but skipping meals slows your metabolism and can lead to binges. If you know you are going to be indulging in a high calorie dinner then try to eat healthier throughout the day eat some fruit for breakfast with an egg white omelette and enjoy a garden salad for lunch. This way when dinner rolls around you won’t feel guilty and you won’t be starving.
21. When you eat be sure to have no distractions. Sit at the kitchen table and focus on your food. Put the books or computer away. When you eat you want to know what you are eating and enjoy eating.
22. Dilute juice with water. Or fill your glass to the top with ice cubes and add some juice. This way it will seem like you are drinking more then you actually are.
23. Try to have only veggies for lunch. A nice garden salad would be good, but be careful of what you top your salad with. Opt for vinaigrettes instead of cream based dressings.
24. Eat at home more often. Not only will your wallet thank you so will your waistline. Eating at home means you can control what goes into your food and how much goes into your food.
25. Limit your alcohol intake. If you must drink try to pick healthier versions. Instead of having daiquiris and margaritas which are full of sugar go for a drink like Mott’s Clamato Caesar’s. They even have some brands of beer in light versions.
26. Instead of drinking a diet coke drink a can of V8 and get in some veggies.
27. Try to make your vegetables more flavourful. Try adding some garlic or ginger. Or make yourself a low calorie dipping sauce using soy sauce (watch for salt content) mixed with some hot chilli paste. Not only does this add flavour to your vegetables it gives your metabolism a little kick with the heat.
28. Mix 3 different cans of beans together and top with some low calorie Italian Dressing. Eat this three bean salad through the week you will get loads of fibre helping you feel full.
29. Vegetable soup counts towards vegetables. When looking for a vegetable soup again look for broth based instead of cream. Also look for the sodium content to make sure it’s not high.
30. Enjoy sweet potatoes. Chop them in slices and flavour them lightly with some butter and garlic and toss them in the oven. You’ll have tasty sweet fries in no time.