We all know you have a competitive nature; it comes out every time you are around your buddies. Therefore, it is probably only a matter of time before you try out one of these new obstacle courses/mud runs that everyone is talking about.
Because you have a few different options, it may be hard to determine which one you want to try. We’ll make it easy for you. We’ll compare the Tough Mudder and the Warrior Dash – our two favorites. Then you can decide if you are a Mudder or a Dasher – because let’s be real, you’re going to do at least one of them. What boy-at-heart man doesn’t want to roll in the mud?
- The distance of this race is 10-12 miles.
- It includes 20 or more obstacles.
- The difficulty level is 10.
- The registration fee can be anywhere between $90 and $200, but it includes a t-shirt, post-party entry, sweatband, chance to buy a Tough Mudder tattoo.
- Teams are required.
- While it is not required that you raise money for charity, it is encouraged. The charity that Tough Mudder races support is the Wounded Warrior Project. If you pledge to raise $150 for this charity, you will receive a $25 discount on your registration fee.
This race course was originally created by British Special Forces to promote strength and physical and mental endurance. It is not a race that you sign up for on a spur of the moment; it requires serious physical and mental training to even begin the race. Finishing it is a different matter. Tough Mudder is not for the faint of heart. It is not for someone who is merely looking for a good weekend workout.
However, the Tough Mudder is perfect for someone who has a sense of humor. After all, it takes a special person to appreciate challenges like the Arctic Enema, Ball Shrinker, Greased Lightning, Hold Your Wood and Turd’s Nest. A Tough Mudder is also someone who appreciates comradely and makes sure no one gets left behind – a true team player.
Now, the Warrior Dash is a completely different breed of obstacle course. While some people may tell you that it is easier than the Tough Mudder, that is simply not the case. In fact, it is a completely different type of obstacle course.
- The Warrior Dash is a 5k, which makes it just over three miles.
- It includes ten obstacles.
- Its difficulty level comes in at a five.
- This race does not allow teams.
- The registration fee can be anywhere between $40 and $80; that includes a fuzzy helmet, a shirt, one medal, a snack, beer, live music, and a medal.
- As with Tough Mudder, it is not required that you pledge for a charity. However, they also encourage race participants to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Hospital. Warrior Dash offers rewards to those who raise money for St. Jude; some of the rewards include VIP access, headphones, and a bandana.
The Warrior Dash is a good way to get back into shape after slacking a bit on your exercise. This race is also a little more relaxed than the Tough Mudder race. If you participate, you can wear crazy costumes and have a good time while still getting your sweat on.
The Warrior Dash is also a race for the runner who is tired of running races on the same courses. Do you love to run but get bored of looking at the same things all the time? Kick up your adventurous side a few notches and let the Warrior Dash wake up the dormant runner inside of you.
There you have it, two perfectly good excuses for playing in the mud. But seriously – participating in one of these obstacle courses should be on your bucket list. Sure, you will get a quality workout. But more importantly, you will set a nearly impossible goal for yourself and then get a major self-confidence boost after you push your body to its limits to do what you set out to do.
Guest blogger Jordan Dahlberg just signed up for his second Tough Mudder event and hopes this one will be even more challenging than the last. While training for these mud runs, Jason uses daily vitamin B12 injections from Trim Nutrition for an extra boost of energy.