It is one thing to boast about being a kid at heart. It is an entirely other thing to admit to being a mamma’s boy. And really, who would want to claim that status?! While you might not say it out loud, your friends, family and girlfriend already know. How? Because you are a grown adult, living at home!
Are you over 25 years of age? Are you done with college? It is time to cut the cord!
Basically, if you are unsure about whether or not it is time to go, there is one simple thing to consider. How many people are you pissing off?
- While she rarely vocalizes it, your mom is angry. If you were the type to pick up on subtle hints (and what guy is?!), you would notice that more often than not your morning eggs are burned. Why? Because she is tired of being your maid – cooking your meals, cleaning your room, doing your laundry. Grow up! Take care of yourself!
- The daggers shooting from the eyes of your financially responsible dad say he is unhappy with the way you are spending your money. He might be irritated by the fact you aren’t paying rent, aren’t saving your money, and splurging on big ticket items like a thumping car stereo and a flat screen jumbo-tron for your bedroom.
- Your friends are annoyed. You are always bumming at their place – eating their food, monopolizing their TV, invading their privacy. It’s not like you can invite them over to hang at your place – its crawling with family members. You’re bros, so they understand your situation. But after awhile, enough is enough.
- Your girlfriend is on the verge of a royal hissy fit. Sure, most women prefer their own bed, but every once in awhile it would be nice to change things up a bit. And all it took was that one awkward morning-after for her to swear-off ever setting foot in “your” house again.
- It’s obvious to everyone in the house how your dog feels about the situation. His bark-fest when you come home at 3am is enjoyed by no one.
- By now, you aren’t too happy with yourself. You’re probably longing for a bit (or a lot!) of independence. You’re tired of all the restrictions. You’re tired of following the house rules. You need to get out!
It is time, man. Just do it. Get out. Move on. Be independent. It might seem a bit scary now, but it will seriously be one of the best things you’ll ever do.
Guest blogger Jordan Dahlberg knows all about guys living at home – he was one until about two years ago. Now that he has seen the light, he helps other men move on. Jordan works for a moving company in Sarasota – this site has helpful moving information.